Cinque Terre, Italy APRIL 18, 2003

APRIL 18, 2003

We are in Cinque Terre, which is part of the Italian
Mediterranean area.  The name means "five lands" and they
are linked by trails.  Or, you take the "milk-run" train between
Genoa and La Spezia, as it is difficult to get cars around.

We have hiked the trails between the towns.  They run along the Mediterranean, and then as high as 1,000 feet above the ocean.  Tough hikes.

Yesterday I was walking along the high coast, very early by myself, and heard a crashing sound. I thought it was the noisiest deer I ever heard.  A bit alarmed,

ATTACK OF THE WILD BOARS

The two large wild pigs and a piglet burst across the trail, running hard, and very excited.  So was I.  The baby turned and ran towards me, and so did mama.  I yelled and carried on and they ran off. They stayed a few feet above me, and they continued to make a lot of noise.  So did I.  

There are little castles along the coast.  You can hike, take a boat, or take a train between the little towns.  Very nice.