Take This Job and Shove It - Sabbatical 2003



Sabbatical 2003

We are Back !!!

Around the World in 180 Days

Beth Ruyle and Craig Hullinger have completed their sabbatical, January through June 2003. We spent 6 months traveling around the world. We checked out our roots, and had a very good time. Beth is now back at Ehlers and I am back to my consulting practice. In the immortal words of a famous Country & Western singer, we said,




“Take This Job and Shove It, 

I ain’t workin here no more”.




Well, now we are back to work. Beth and I thought it was time to recharge our batteries and we have. Now we have to work to earn our boat space on spaceship earth.

We traveled from January through June, 2003, and went to Hong Kong, Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, England, Ireland, Belgium, France, Germany, Norway, Denmark, and Sweden. We drove Beth’s red convertible sports car in Europe. Any road will do when you don’t know where you are going. We met lots of great people.

We have traveled west around the world. This corrected a problem I created when I went east around the world in 1970 / 1971 on leave from the Marines in Vietnam. I have been screwed up ever since and this trip unscrewed me. Of course, now Beth is screwed up, requiring an additional trip back around the world, which will unscrew her, but rescrew me. You get the picture.





Beth and I did not get very far on our spy/romance novel starring our significantly embellished ourselves and our adventures. I had wanted to go to more adventurous places such as Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Africa, etc for back ground material, but Beth said no. The woman has no sense of adventure. I have volunteered to go back on active duty with the Marines for the Iraq, but so far they have said no, telling me between the lines that I am too old and fat. But my Walter Mitty fantasies may work themselves into the spy/romance yarn if we ever get started.